Tuesday, April 1, 2008

How do we evaluate the value of informatioN????

Ok ok, so my last post was a bit of a ramble (which most of them are but...) so I am going to try to write somethink more clearly about last weeks work. Virtual communities are a really interesting topic because to be honest I was never really in them. I mean I had bebo for my friends here in New Zealand and Hi5 which I used for my overseas friends and family! But there was really nothing else that I used I mean truthfully I thought that chat rooms and blogs and all that were stupid but I have seen the errors of my ways! I have found that on the internet you can trully find really good people to talk to, you can find a group of people for a whole sort of reasons! As Alana wrote about, you can find a group that you can talk to about problems that you find hard to talk to face to face, you could find people on the internet that share your crazy fettish something that is too embarassing to talk to with someone you know! THere are lots of reasons.

I would also like to talk about the question that was most important in week 5.... How do we evaluate the value of information??...

I saw this question and soon enough the rebel in me or the debater in me started to question in straight away... How is it that giving your address is a high value part of information where a photo is a low value...?? I mean why is it that a photo is not a high value? I believe that it is much higher than giving your address. It shows what you look like, it may show some of what your friends look like, it shows a specific location, and it could even show some of your personality in your dress sense and the way your face is... Is it not that this is a high value piece of information.??

An address may show where you live but chances are there are more than one person living in that house so how do they know which one you are? SOmetimes people also put a fake address so some people do not even trust this address whereas you can usually tell when this is not a real photo of you!!!

Anyway, what are your thoughts? do you disagree or agree?? WHy??

No comments: